- My 24-year-old daughter was happy go-lucky. Not any longer. She sounds terribly remote, more so with her irregular periods. She does not speak like before and is much to herself, alone and silent. She’s been treated earlier for hyperacidity, but her tummy distress keeps coming back no sooner than it gets relieved. I’ve also found out that she is unhappy at her workplace. Please advice.
- A. Your daughter is showing symptoms of depression. Depression is a subtle malady; it affects more women than men. I’d suggest that you should leave her alone until she wants to talk to you about her problem, if any. Try to make her know that you are there for her always. You’d also speak to a medical professional, if her moody blues and seclusion get worse. In the interim, you may give her the homeopathic remedy, Cyclamen Europaeum 200C, 4-5 pills, twice daily.
- I am 43. I have had irritable bowel syndrome [IBS] for the last 22 years. It all started with black stools for three days. After this, there would be a terrible pain in the lower part of the stomach, whenever I’d eat. I had to go to the toilet to relieve myself immediately [2-3 times daily]. I consulted a number of allopathic doctors who thought it was colitis. It was only after a long time that it was actually diagnosed with IBS, by a gastroenterologist. Please suggest a suitable homeopathic treatment for me.
- Homeopathy offers safe, effective treatment for IBS. I’d suggest that you speak to a local professional homeopathic physician who would be in the best position to treat your condition, based on your physical, mental and genetic make-up, or symptom-picture. Professional treatment often gives good and long-lasting results. In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief, you may try the homeopathic remedy, Argentum Nitricum 30C, 4-5 pills once a day, followed by Magnesium Phosphoricum 6X, 2-4 tablets, twice a day.
- My father, aged 54, is suffering from hepatitis C for the past four years. He has loss of appetite and weakness. Please help.
- Hepatitis C is an infectious disease affecting the liver. It is caused by the Hepatitis C virus. It gives rise to symptoms, such as decreased appetite, fatigue, abdominal pain, jaundice, itching, etc. Your father shouldn’t take vitamins, nutritional supplements or over-the-counter [OTC] medications without discussing them with his doctor. He should also avoid alcohol. All patients with hepatitis C should be immunised against hepatitis A and B too. Homeopathic remedies can help symptomatically. A detailed case-study is required — this is best done at a local homeopath’s clinic.
- My ten-year-old son has several small, reddish eruptions on his neck and back since a few weeks. This happens every summer. Please advice.
- Your son seems to be suffering from miliaria rubra, commonly known as prickly heat. This normally occurs in hot and humid conditions and when the sweat gland ducts get plugged due to dead skin cells or bacteria and sweat gets trapped within, leading to irritation and formation of eruptions. Ideally, the problem can be managed by taking frequent cold showers, using talcum powder, wearing loose cotton clothes and minimising activities that can lead to excess sweating. If the itching is just too much, you’d give your son, the homeopathic remedy, Natrum Sulphuricum 6X, 2-4 tablets twice daily.
By Dr Mukesh Batra, Padma Shri Recipient
LCEH, FSRH [MED] P [LOND], MDH [USA], FBIH [UK]