Temperomandibular Disorders (TMD)
Temperomandibular Disorders is a condition where the Jaw Joint (Temperomandibular Joint), related jaw & facial muscles along with their nerves are adversely affected leading to a chronic or acute facial pain.
The cause of this disorder is multifactorial- however it is commonly linked to arthritis, joint injuries, displacement of the disc located between the jawbones and the socket, stress & teeth grinding (bruxism)
You may have TMD if you are experiencing the following symptoms:
- Chronic Headaches
- Sore teeth and gums
- Pain when you are opening or closing your mouth
- Discomfort while eating & chewing
- Restricted mouth opening
- Muscle tensions in the face, neck, shoulders and back
- Earaches or pain around the ear and temples
- Any sounds like a click or pop while opening or closing the mouth
TMD is a complex condition which requires to be handled and monitored by a trained expertise. Proper diagnosis, pain control, lifestyle changes , bite alterations & muscle exercises are carried out as per the patients need.
Consult our dental experts for TMD – Dr. Arjumand Akhtar – Fellowship in TMD & Orofacial Pain