Body piercing is a popular form of self-expression. Oral piercings or tongue splitting may look
cool, but they can be dangerous to your health. That’s because your mouth contains millions of
bacteria, and infection and swelling often occur with mouth piercings. For instance, your mouth
and tongue could swell so much that you close off your airway or you could possibly choke if
part of the jewelry breaks off in your mouth. In some cases, you could crack a tooth if you bite
down too hard on the piercing, and repeated clicking of the jewelry against teeth can also cause
damage. Oral piercing could also lead to more serious infections, like hepatitis or endocarditis.
If you pierce your tongue, lips, cheeks or uvula (the tiny tissue that hangs at the back of the
throat,) it can interfere with speech, chewing or swallowing. It may also cause:
Infection, pain and swelling. Your mouth is a moist environment, home to huge
amounts of breeding bacteria, and an ideal place for infection. An infection can quickly
become life threatening if not treated promptly. It’s also possible for a piercing to cause
your tongue to swell, potentially blocking your airway.
Damage to gums, teeth and fillings. A common habit of biting or playing with the
piercing can injure your gums and lead to cracked, scratched or sensitive teeth. Piercings
can also damage fillings.
Hypersensitivity to metals. Allergic reactions at the pierced site are also possible.
Nerve damage. After a piercing, you may experience a numb tongue that is caused by
nerve damage that is usually temporary, but can sometimes be permanent. The injured
nerve may affect your sense of taste, or how you move your mouth. Damage to your
tongue’s blood vessels can cause serious blood loss.
Excessive drooling. Your tongue piercing can increase saliva production.
Dental appointment difficulties. The jewelry can get in the way of dental care by
If you already have piercings:
Contact your dentist or physician immediately if you have any signs of
infection—swelling, pain, fever, chills, shaking or a red-streaked appearance around the
site of the piercing.
Keep the piercing site clean and free of any matter that may collect on the jewelry by
using a mouth rinse after every meal.
Try to avoid clicking the jewelry against teeth and avoid stress on the piercing. Be gentle
and aware of the jewelry’s movement when talking and chewing.
Check the tightness of your jewelry periodically (with clean hands). This can help
prevent you from swallowing or choking if the jewelry becomes dislodged.
When taking part in sports, remove the jewelry and protect your mouth with a
See your dentist regularly, and remember to brush twice a day and floss daily.
Of course the best option is to consider removing mouth jewelry before it causes a problem.
Don’t pierce on a whim. The piercing will be an added responsibility to your life, requiring
constant attention and upkeep. Talk to your dentist for more information.