Homeopathy is an evidence-based, tried and tested method that works by strengthening and stimulating the body’s curative powers to heal any distress within the body. Here are 5 facts about homeopathy that reveal some of the features of this natural healing science.
FACT 1: HOMEOPATHY IS EVIDENCE BASED MEDICINE
There are over 600 published research studies, 180 controlled and 120 randomised trials conducted that demonstrate the effectiveness of homeopathy. Some of the results proving the efficiency of homeopathic medicines have been discussed below:
1) A study on homeopathic medicine Lycopodium 30C, showed its benefits on high blood pressure, cardiovascular ailments, improving memory, reducing inflammation and providing over 60% protection against alcohol induced gastric ulcer.
2) Homeopathic remedy Rhustox 200 has been found to provide relief from pain and stiffness in joints due to rheumatoid arthritis.
3) 82% of people experienced relief from allergic symptoms due to homeopathy when compared to 67% of people who experienced relief from conventional medicine.
4) A study of 118 eczema patients published in Complementary Therapies in Medicine reported that homeopathy was as effective as conventional treatments in the short-term but more effective in the long run.
5) Children diagnosed with ADHD were given conventional and individualized homeopathic medicines. An impressive 75% responded to homoeopathy.
FACT 2: HOMEOPATHY ACTS QUICKLY
The affect of homeopathic medicine depends on various factors such as the sensitivity of the patient, the nature of illness, the pathology of the disease, and various other treatment measures taken before resorting to homeopathy.
Since most people take recourse to homeopathy for chronic problems such as arthritis, allergic asthma or skin conditions, these appear to take a longer time to heal.
In acute ailments like diarrhea, acute cold and cough, homeopathic remedies act as fast as conventional medicines and sometimes even faster.
FACT 3: HOMEOPATHY WORKS WELL WITH CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE
There is clinical evidence to show that conventional medicine and homeopathy work well. One such research was conducted in Athens to see the compatibility between homeopathy and conventional medicine in controlling diabetes.
A group of diabetes patients with mellitus type-2 were treated with Daonil – a conventional medicine, and a placebo. Another group was treated with Daonil and homeopathy. The first group showed 47% improvement whereas the second showed an impressive 97% improvement.
FACT 4: THERE ARE NO DIET RESTRICTIONS IN HOMEOPATHY
The only dietary restriction a homeopath may impose depends on the disease the patient suffers from. For example, diabetics should avoid sweets and a high carbohydrate diet. Such dietary suggestions are commonly recommended in all forms of medicine to enhance healing.
Since homeopathic medicines act through nerve endings, traditional homeopaths do not advice the use or consumption of substances with strong odors like toothpaste, garlic, and onions, as this could affect the impact of homeopathic medicines.
Modern homeopaths recommend having the medicines after rinsing the mouth half an hour before and after meals and also advocate placing the medicine below the tongue for best results.
FACT 5: HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINES ARE DERIVED FROM 3000 DIFFERENT SOURCES
Although all homeopathic medicines look alike, they are not same. There are more than 4,000 homeopathic medicines in practice. The basic ingredients of homeopathic medicines come from 3000 different sources that are mostly derived from plants and minerals.
By Dr Mukesh Batra, Padma Shri Recipient
LCEH, FSRH [MED] P [LOND], MDH [USA], FBIH [UK]