The gums surrounding the teeth provide for an overall look in the smile. A healthy gum is an asset and health of the gingival tissue is an integral component of comprehensive dental care. Incorrect brushing methods and lack of adequate oral hygiene can lead to inflamed and reddened gums. This will affect the esthetics of the smile; can cause pain and halitosis (bad breath). Gum Treatment comprises of regular oral prophylaxis which involves periodic cleaning and deep scaling to cleanse the teeth of accumulated plaque, tartar & stains. Following a regular prophylaxis, it has been shown that the patient finds it easier to maintain the health of the gums by regular home-based oral care which involves correct brushing methods, use of appropriate tooth pastes, periodic use of prescribed mouth rinses and flossing.
In instances, there can be pathologies involving the gums which includes but is not limited to:
1. Sporadic enlargements of the marginal gingival
2. Periodontal weakening of the teeth due to bone loss
3. Periodontal abscess formation
4. Periodontal Pocket Formation
5. Gingival Recession
6. Trauma from Occlusion
In the above instances, gum treatment will have to be considered. Gum Treatment can involve the:
1. Minor surgical procedures using soft-diode lasers to recontour the marginal gingival
2. Flap Surgeries in case of bone loss, gingival recession & periodontal pockets with placement of artificial bone augmentation materials.
3. Incision & Drainage of abscesses.
Toothsmiths Dental Centre and Clover Medical Centre uses the latest technology in soft-diode LASER to achieve therapeutic results with rapid healing and minimal discomfort to the patient.