- I suffer from frequent, aching headaches. I also suffer from excessive sweating of my scalp and face, which leaves my pillow soaked. I feel awkward because of my excess sweating. Please help.
- I do not know if you have undergone medical tests to rule out certain causes such as a thyroid disorder for your sweating distress. Your headache suggests it could be a migraine or tension headache but tests will need to be carried out to confirm this. In the meantime you may try taking 4-5 pills of the homeopathic remedy, Belladona 30C, twice a day. Please keep your physician updated regarding your health status as this is essential.
- I have started losing a lot of hair following my pregnancy and delivery. Please advice.
- Hair loss occurs for approximately three months after delivery and is quite normal. Anything beyond that is known as postpartum alopecia, which is what you seem to be suffering from. Diet that is rich in iron and proteins like green leafy vegetables, sprouts, eggs, chicken and soybean helps to control hair loss. Do not plait or braid your hair tightly as this will damage your hair. Use a mild shampoo and conditioner. If hair loss persists, you should consult a local homeopath to rule out any underlying causes. In the meantime you may try taking 4-5 pills of the homeopathic remedy, Sepia Officinalis 200C, twice a day.
- I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. What is homeopathy’s scope in treating this disease?
- A. Hypothyroidism is characterised by low thyroid function. It affects about 3% of the general population. Conventional medicine tends to substitute the natural thyroid hormone with its synthetic equivalent to compensate for thyroid insufficiency. Homeopathy on the other hand, stimulates the thyroid gland to secrete thyroxine, the hormone that is deficient in hypothyroidism. Symptoms of hypothyroidism like water retention, dryness of skin, irregular menses, constipation and depression can be improved considerably using homeopathic remedies. Over a period of time, conventional medication can be gradually tapered too. Speak to a local homeopath as you will require long-term treatment, under regular supervision and follow-up.
- My hands get rough and the skin peels off after washing clothes or utensils. Can homoeopathy help?
- A. You seem to be suffering from irritant dermatitis caused by repeated direct contact with detergents that tend to irritate your skin, making it rough and causing it to peel easily. This can be prevented by taking good care of your hands, not placing your hands in water for a long time, drying your hands thoroughly after washing, using protective gloves when using detergents and applying moisturising cream to keep the skin supple. I’d suggest that you try taking 5 pills of the homeopathic remedy Graphites 30C, twice a day.
- My thirty-year-old husband suffers from gas and flatulence. Please guide.
- Flatulence can be caused by a sedentary lifestyle, faulty eating habits and certain food like beans and cauliflower. Ask your husband to avoid consuming gas inducing food like cabbage, broccoli and aerated drinks. Exercising or walking for 30-40 minutes daily is recommended. Include asafoetida [hing], jeera and ajwain in his diet. Also ask him to avoid eating too quickly, instead get him to have small frequent meals and drink at least 10-12 glasses of water daily. He should try taking 4-5 pills of the homeopathic remedy, Carbo Vegetabilis 30C, twice a day.
By Dr Mukesh Batra, Padma Shri Recipient
LCEH, FSRH [MED] P [LOND], MDH [USA], FBIH [UK]